It is with immense sadness and regret that we inform you the Phoenix Board of Directors has decided to cancel the remainder of the 2019-2020 season. This cancellation includes all rehearsals and workshops, our April 22 Earth Songs concert, and our June 2020 auditions and recording sessions.
The stakes of the COVID-19 pandemic are just too high to justify asking our singers, artistic staff, and dearest friends and family to gather together. The truth is there will be other opportunities to sing together and perform for you all, but it is important we prioritize every individual’s health and welfare right now. We appreciate your understanding, though we recognize this is a disappointment.
At Phoenix, we have never been more grateful for our loyal supporters and good friends (read: you!).
If you had ticket(s) to our spring concert, we are deeply sorry. We can offer you several solutions:
- Request to exchange the ticket(s) for a future concert in our upcoming 2020-21 season;
- Donate the face-value of the ticket(s) and receive a tax receipt;
- Receive a full refund for the value of the ticket(s).
Please email us at your earliest convenience to indicate what you would like to do.
Of course, this is a painful decision not only because our season was such a delight with high hopes for all that was to come, but also for the impact this has on the finances and operations of an arts organization of our size. We empathize with small nonprofits and businesses all over our city, province, and worldwide, who will be struggling in the days and weeks to come.
If you are looking for other ways to support Phoenix and our friends in the arts during this time:
- Listen to our albums on iTunes or Spotify! And then share an album with your friends. Music can be incredibly healing and calming during these unknown days, every time you do click and listen, our hearts grow a little more.
- Support our artists that were set to join us at our spring concert. Corrinne Wolcoski, visual artist; Anna Kuchkova, cellist; Katerina Gimon, Canadian composer; and Timothy Cunningham, student composer.
- Purchase season tickets for next year as soon as they go on sale! Everyone will be entitled to a 20% discount and you will be the first to know of the season announcement. We were already hard at work casting vision and will have even more time to do so now.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Believe it or not, simply interacting with a group on social media can help bolster our audience and allow us to share our love of music with others. If you like it, say so! If you love it, share it! Our hope is to use these digital platforms in the coming weeks and months to still contribute to creating music and enhancing musical education in any way we can. Stay tuned!
This type of decision is unprecedented and far from easy. We are grateful for wise and careful leadership from the World Health Organization to our provincial and local governments, all the way down to our Phoenix Chamber Choir leadership team. If you know a leader this week, thank them for the hard decisions they are making.
We still believe in the power of music to bring us together at a time like this. We would love it if you shared with us via social media who or what you’re listening to, or how you are choosing to spread joy into the world right now.
We will be in touch as soon as we can about future announcements. The Phoenix Family is strong and we are confident that brighter days are on our horizon.
Please reach out if you have any specific questions or concerns.